In 2008, a Las Vegas company targeting mixed martial arts devotees, began an clothing line. Respect Your Universe or “RYU” (pronounced “roo”) now offers sports enthusiasts of all types, an interesting range of casual and exercise apparel. The name sounds like it should be a new-age-y, but actually, the range of pants, tops and jackets, plus some travel bags and such, is fairly traditional. There isn’t that much written on the products, and to be perfectly honest, I held off on a review for a while only because I was traveling and didn’t have time to wear test the samples I was sent. But I finally did get a chance to try out RYU, and I’d like to tell you a little bit about it. Frankly, we think the products, rock!
The workout wear is well styled and can be worn “out and about” as well as to the gym. For example, as the weather warms up, this RYU 212015 Endurance Jacket Stay ($115.00) looks chic, although it is meant to be high performance-wear as well. The lighweight jacket is 100% polyster so silky and thin it looks really trendy with a tank underneath it as a jacket, and feels nice next to your skin, but you can also wear it as a layering piece as a shell over a sweatshirt or sweater. Extra wide ribbing at the side seams allow for a complete range of motion, while the zippered side pockets and the hidden chest pocket with an invisible zipper keeps valuables safe, secure and out of sight. Adjustable draw cord at collar, Mesh venting, Pocket zippers, exterior sealed protection to help with abrasion, Wide side seam ribbing for enhanced fit and mobility, Adjustable draw cord at the hem.
I love the 212086 Fierce Seamless Tank ($50.00) that is really unusual, a thing of beauty. The tank starts with a very comfortable (non biding but supportive) built-in shelf bra that was comfortable enough to wear all day long and works well for low impact support. The 95% Nylon/5 % Spandex material breathes with you and draws moisture away from your skin, so it’s comfortable for workouts or whatever. One of the things that I like about this tank is that it has this mesh venting in the middle, which helps to keep you cook when you’re exercising, but looks like a sexy design element when you’re just wearing it for fun. The long tank has a smooth, seamless engineered “Respect Your Universe” outside bra hem that can be pulled up or down to fit every size figure. This tank is great for layering, and makes
Many women are fans of Capri-length pants. For them, there’s the 212083 Allure Capri Allure ($60.00) that is made of recycled 89% Polyester and 11% Lycra. The stretch fabric feels very luxurious and silky, and it wicks moisture away from your skin to keep you dry and comfortab;e/ I liek th ewide while the stay-put “ab-flattering” non-rolling, waistband lets the capri respond to your movement. Fit: Fitted,There is a little Secure pocket, too. The seams on this pant are we;; [;aces amd s,pptj. amd f;atteromg/ The hem at the bottom is soft and won’t constrict your leg, but it won’t bunch up either.
- 4-Way Stretch Nylon – because you deserve the ultimate in performance, comfort and style, we have used 4-way stretch nylon in select fight short styles. The pinnacle of comfort and flexibility, this fabric moves with your body instead of against it.
- Cocona® – Some of our training products utilize Cocona® fibers for odor resistance, keeping you looking and smelling fresh.
- Drawcord – We want you to be focused on your training, so we’ve outfitted select products with tunneleddrawcords to provide a comfortable, custom fit.
- DWR Coating – Durable water repellant fabrics are treated to withstand the elements. Apparel items treated with DWR will keep you dry and comfortable, letting you focus on your training.
- Flat Seams – We kicked chafing and irritation to the curb by designing select training apparel items with flat seams.
- Garment-Washed – Our tees are garment washed and treated to reduce shrinkage and create an ultra-soft hand feel.
- Gel-Print Grippers – Why should you have to focus on fit when you should be focusing on not getting hit? We designed all of our compression apparel with gel-print grippers inside the sleeve cuffs and hem to prevent our tops and shorts from riding up or slipping, keeping you comfortable so you can focus.
- Gel-Print Symbols – Like the gel-print grippers featured in our Tanto Compression apparel, our gel-print symbols are designed to keep your apparel from slipping and riding up during training and competition. Featured in the waistband of select training and competition products, these grippers take the shape of our classic RYU icons.
- Gussets – Gussets add breadth and reduce stress from tight-fitting clothing, so we’ve used them in select training apparel items to give you extra freedom of movement without putting unnecessary stress on your garment.
- Neoprene Waistband – Flexible and form-fitting, the neoprene waistband on our Wakizashi Fight Short provides a comfortable custom fit, conforming to the shape of your body for a snug fit that won’t slip.
- Patent-Pending Closure System – Our patent-pending closure system is featured on our fight shorts, giving you a secure bulk-free fit that won’t quit. The fold-over Velcro closure is paired with tunneled drawcords on special styles for a secure custom fit.
- Rolled-Forward Side Seams – Featured in select training garments, rolled-forward side seams reduce chafing and irritation while also providing a comfortable fit.
- RYU Iconography
Ready to respect and rock your universe and your ActiveWear look? Visit: http://shop.ryu.com/