I looked in the mirror this morning and what did I see? Two large, sprouting zits. Yep, that’s right, Zits! I thought I’d gotten rid of them past High School, but as everyone knows, adult zits do occur from time to time, and especially this time of year when heat, humidity, perspiration, over-use of creams and sun blocks, and exposure to the elements trigger those unwanted breakouts. But Aveda’s Outer Peace Acne Relief Pads ($31. 50/5o pads) come in a jar and wipe on gentle, effective cleansing that may give you inner peace (from zits, at least) as well. The pads have a mild, 1.5% salicylic acid, and they are more exfoliator and pore cleanser, than a facial cleanser (in other words, you still need to wash your face). The thing that got me right away, was that these pads don’t just help to unclog pores and prevent new breakouts, they smell really good, (thanks to a certified organic lemon tea tree and rose geranium aroma) . The pads are infused with powerful botanicals tamanu, amla, boswellia and saw palmetto. In clinical testing, when used as part of Aveda’s 4-step regimen (1. Cleanse; 2. Exfoliate; 3. Spot Treat; 4. Moisture Balance), 92% of users had fewer blemishes after using the 4-part skin care system for 4 weeks.
Got zits? Here are some easy to follow tips to help you trash them!
1. Use a gentle cleanser, just twice a day
2. Avoid aggressive products like apricot or walnut shell exfoliators, which can irritate skin, or alcohol-based toners, which can dry it out.
3. I know it’s tempting, but please don’t pick or squeeze: it can force bacteria deeper into the skin and may leave scars.
4. Use a full skin regimen: spot treatments alone only affect the last stage of blemishes, rather than preventing them.
5. Avoid excess sun: it doesn’t help out acne and can actually add to clog pores and discoloration. Who needs to increase their chances for skin cancer and premature aging, anyway?!
6. Balance your stress levels and diet: while no scientific link to acne is proven, it’s commonly believed that wellness routines and a high-nutrient, high-water content diet can help keep skin healthy.
And while you’re keeping zits away, add some beautiful color to your face with one of the Aveda Petal Essence Face Accents $24.00 These striped trios of color can be worn separately (as color, highlight and contour) or more likely, swiped with a soft brush over the three, to give your face a beautiful glow. The pans are large squares that fit into Aveda’s refillable palettes,held fast with magnets (so you can pop a pan of color in, or out, as your wish). They are packaged in 100% post-consumer recycled (PCR) clamshells, While these powder blushes look very deep in the pans, they are sheer on the skin, and and build-able. Each pan holds three, semi-matte colors. I tried “Tesserae,” a symphony of peach, rose and warm plum, Mixed together, on medium toned skin, it left the most luminous, beautiful, can’t believe she wasn’t born with it, sheer wash of rosed peach. Another Summer-centric Petal Essence Face Accent we tried was “Rose Blossom,” featuring three shades of cool/neutral roses ranging from the deepest plummy pink, to a middle of clear rose, to a soft light rose. The sheer wash of color that was created from this seemingly deep trio, was flattering to just about everyone. The best part? The floral inspired hues are infused with talc and mineral free, aromatic florals featuring a soft, certified organic lavender.
Please purchase these and other amazing Aveda products only from official Aveda salons and spas, or online at: http://www.aveda.com