The “Dog Days” of Summer are here at last. I always thought this moniker was due to the fact that it was so hot, even dogs didn’t move in the heat. But actually, the term “dog days” which refers to the period of Summer from about July 3rd to August 11th was coined in early times by observers in countries bordering the Mediterranean. The period was reckoned as extending from 20 days before to 20 days after the conjunction of Sirus of Sirius (the dog star) and the sun. In that latitude during that period, these very hot days were plagued with discomfort and worse, disease!
While we’re not really worrying about getting the plague, some people really do suffer more in the heat, and they sweat, a lot more too. If you are one of the many who just can’t take the heat, or worse, you are subjected to being with a lot of people in tight spaces (e.g. public transportation), you can’t help but notice the intensity of body odor is increasing all around you.
This brings me to the point of this post :
Body odor is a surefire man repellant. No matter how cute the sundress or short-shorts, body odor will turn not just men, but everyone. away! Fortunately, there is a deodorant called Dove Advanced Care with Nutrium Moisture Antiperspirant/Deodorant($7.00) to deal with wetness AND body. And it that has a feature no other company’s product has: it is is the only anti-perspirant/deodorant formulated with NutriumMoisture™ – a technology that clinically proven to reduce irritation from shaving and ensure underarm The Advice Sisters have reviewed DOVE products with NutriumMoisture™ in them, previously.
Consider that when you shave your under-arms, you are shaving off skin cells and you are irritating your skin. That means you’re losing moisture from an area that isn’t going to get any back. If that area stays dry, it will get sensitive and irritated. That’s not only not a good beauty look, but it is also uncomfortable!
Beauty Finish by Dove:
According to DOVE, this product offers 48-hour odor and wetness protection as well as the ability to help soothe and repair your under-arm skin. And it comes in 7 different scents and a sensitive/unscented version. I tried Beauty Finish, which was called “a sparkling, sophisticated scent with notes of watery florals, sandalwood, and amber musk” but thought it smelled fresh and clean, unobtrusive, with just a hint of those notes to get you feeling fresh and clean.
I’m not going to go into a lot of “tech speak” about how and what is in this product, but I will give you a quick rundown: One of the great things about this ingredient and its technology is that it is formulated to deeply hydrate skin so you don’t have to slather so much product on, so often. It just keeps sticking around, hydrating, and making your skin softer. But in this product, it helps to protect your skin from shaving damage as other ingredients deal with wetness and odor. The product also has shea butter and other humectants to moisturize and some other ingredients that help form a barrier to keep that moisture in, plus sunflower seed oil and stearic acid to help in that skin renewal process.
Sheer Touch by Dove:
If this idea appeals to you, there are also three new deodorants from DOVE with the same technology and something more: the new DOVE Advanced Care Clear Tone Anti-Perspirant/Deodorant won’t show up on your clothes, although it will do good things for your under-arms with Nutrium Moisture and the same humectants and other skin-loving benefits as the non-sheer formula. There are three scents, pink rose, skin renew (violet, lilac, and rose with vanilla must), and the one I tried and loved: Clear Tone Sheer Touch that smells simply light and clean with light citrus notes, and hints of almond and coconut milk.
The products are DOVE quality and they are very good. The deodorant/antiperspirant worked well for me, even in 80+ degree heat, but everyone’s body is different so your results may not be the same. Some people online groused that there are stronger antiperspirant/deodorants out there. If that’s what you really need and those products don’t irritate your under-arms, that’s a personal choice. I didn’t really notice a great deal of difference in the skin under my arms, other than it wasn’t irritated, but I don’t spend a lot of time dwelling on how moist my skin is there, normally. The product has lovely and unobtrusive fragrances, it didn’t transfer on my clothes, and if it does good things for my under-arm skin, so much the better. It’s a good product both in regular and clear tone, and I’d recommend it for the average woman who isn’t looking for industrial strength but simply a decent women’s deodorant/anti-perspirant that won’t irritate skin so easily. Good job, DOVE!
Aluminum Zirconium Tetrachlorohydrex GLY (15.2%) (Anti-Perspirant) INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Cyclopentasiloxane, Stearyl Alcohol, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, PPG-14 Butyl Ether, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, PEG-8, Fragrance, Dimethicone, Silica, Polyethylene, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Steareth-100, BHT, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Hydroxyethyl Urea, Calendula, Offincinalis Extract
You can get Dove Advanced Care products in mass-market retailers and drug stores everywhere as well as online. Get some now –your under-arms will thank you and crowds will thank you, too!
For more information Visit the DOVE website
ERIN WALSH – Hollywood Stylist & Dove Advanced Care Deodorant Spokesperson has some beauty tips to negotiate the dog days of Summer – here are some we like:
• Trapeze cut shirts and dresses look great on every body type and are great for the summer season.
• Try a denim on denim look this season. No need to worry about the pieces matching – anything goes!
• An all-white look or mixed neutrals looks great on everyone. Every woman should own a nice white blouse. It’s a piece that will never go out of style, and also make you look put together.
• Dual-purpose items are perfect for the summertime. I love boxy sleeveless shirts that hit around the hip bone. They are a throwback to the ‘60s, and are great to wear with a cute pair of cropped jeans or perfect to throw over a bathing suit at the beach. I am also a big fan of sleeveless shirt dresses and halter tops because they look great on everyone and can be dressed up or dressed down!
• For petite women who would like to create the appearance of more broad, square shoulders, it would be better to wear a sleeveless top that highlights the collarbone. Cap sleeves can also do this for petite women. If a woman has broader shoulders, I would recommend a strapless cut.
• My summer essentials include: sunscreen, Dove Advanced Care Deodorant (I like the Nourished Beauty fragrance), and lip balm with an SPF.
• I think it is fun to experiment with sunglasses during the summer season. Sunglasses look good on anyone, and there are so many styles so you can buy them to match your personality.
• When headed to the beach, I think it is fun to pair lots of jewelry with swimwear. Some people think it can get a bit hot, but I think it’s very chic! Birkenstocks and Converse are also great options to wear to the beach.
• Lightweight cardigans and summer scarves are my best friend during this season. I always have them with me when I am traveling. I prefer to buy them in semi-neutral colors, such as ivory.
• Some classic summer staples that every woman should have in her wardrobe are a crisp white blouse, a lightweight summer scarf (I like neutral colors), and a sundress that isn’t too tight-fitting. I am also a big fan of Greek/Bohemian-inspired sandals – such a fun way to add style to your look this summer season!