Each fall, the American Music Awards celebrates the latest and greatest talents of the contemporary music scene. And with award shows, comes great fashion & beauty – Jenny Balding, Cutler/Redken Stylist (and I am proud to say, mine, as well at Cutler 57th Street) shares two of her favorite looks from last night’s 42nd Annual AMAs – Rita Ora & Julianne Hough:
“Rita Ora has a slightly different take on a simple topknot. It’s all in the detail, which really gave this style an original edge – her undercut was a great point of difference from the back.” – Jenny Balding
To recreate this ultimate sleek topknot:
- Start by blow drying your hairline up and back to really help getting it smooth and sleek
- Use a sleek balm through the roots to tame and smooth the flyway’s. Cutler flyaway stick is the perfect product for this as the more you use the more it will hold and create sheen.
- Sweep into a really high ponytail that sits right on top of the crown.
- Use a straightening iron on the ponytail to create a super sleek finish.
- Mist each section first with a strong hold hairspray that won’t flake and delivers shine also. Redken Control Addict 28 is perfect for this
- Wrap around the base of the ponytail, section by section until the last section of hair leave about 2″ of hair out to create Rita’s topknot.
- Finish by misting Redken Diamond Oil High Shine Airy mist to achieve exceptional shine.
To recreate this slick back bob:
- Start by blow-drying all your hair back and off your face.
- Create a deep side part of whatever side that suits you best.
- Starting at the back use a gel that has hold and creates shine for best results.
- Take small sections at a time and apply the gel and comb through each section. Continue until you reach the front hairline a sweep back off your face also.
- It’s important to start at the back to make sure every strand is coated with gel to create the ultimate sleek style.