I adore lipstick designer Poppy King. She is not just a nice person, she creates amazing lipsticks that really look lovely not just in the tube, but on real women. A lipstick from her first lipstick line, simply called “Poppy” was the first lipstick I ever really splurged on. And then Poppy started the fabulous Lipstick Queen Line. She has also designed lipsticks for others, such as J. Crew and Kate Spade. Most of these are high end. But now, Poppy has launched a line of 7 colors called “The Magic of Lipstick” for none other than Boots No7, available at select Target stores and ShopBootsUSA.com for just $9.99. Now that’s a designer bargain!
Poppy has said the polka dots on her packaging for Boots were inspired by Marilyn Monroe’s famous beauty mark and this collection was inspired by old Hollywood glamour and film icons. These bold, sheer lip colors are intended to offer the allure of old Hollywood bombshells to the everyday woman. Poppy is known for encouraging women to embrace lipstick, and color, but these lipsticks offer build-able coverage so you can work yourself up to bold, if you are lipstick-shy. Swipe once for a sheer wash of color, or smooth on in layers for a more intense look. The lip glosses are can be worn on their own for less intense color or in combination with the lipstick to add a touch of shine.
The colors in the collection are named for the different emotions, personalities and auras Poppy feels lip color has the power to evoke (see video below). The shades range from demure to bold, from pink and nude to rose and dark berry, with something to complement every skin tone. Boots has paired these great colors with a great lipstick — Boots No7 lipsticks and lip glosses are famously formulated to be long-wearing with creamy, high impact color.
• Allure: This soft peachy shade is similar to one’s natural lip color and suitable for women of all ages.
• Confidence: Who doesn’t love a classic nude shade? This hue is an iconic fit for today’s natural beauty.
• Glamour: This flirty pink shade is all about fun. It’s also a perfect option for the woman who finds herself wanting something different from her go-to nude or red lipstick.
• History: Women’s fascination with red lipstick has evolved throughout the decades; this deep red shade captures the perfect “here and now” red hue.
• Intrigue: This subtle pinkish nude is incredibly flattering without being fussy, like the color of natural lips, but bolder and brighter.
• Power: This rose color is designed to be as powerfully stylish as it is pretty. The lipstick is sheer, but is easily build- able to create a bolder lip.
• Seduction: This rich blackberry shade has enough depth to look glamorous at night, but is also appropriate for daytime wear, with a seductive mystique that is as intriguing as it is mysterious.
To my dismay, I received the lipstick and lip gloss called “Seduction.” I am not a blackberry type of lipstick wearer, and it looked very blackberry in the lipstick tube, but trust Poppy to come up with something that will work on everyone. I swiped once and got a silky, shiny lip stain, but went bolder, and then bolder still until I had berried lips that were deep but natural, not garish. Emboldened, I slicked on the Seduction Lip Gloss. Actually, I looked seductive, not scary! That’s the magic of great lipstick done right by a great designer. Poppy King has definitely retained her crown as the queen of lipstick.
I love the bright blue packaging with polka dots and red lips for accents. The products are fabulous and at an amazing price. The good news is that these are available now at select Target stores, but the bad news is that collectors are going to snap these up along with makeup lovers, so get yours ASAP! You can see the entire collection and individual videos for the colors on the Boots Web Site and buy them online.