Advicesisters.com mostly might be focused on things that make life easier, more fun and more successful for women, but we also have a lot of male readers. And for that reason, we also want to share with our male readers those “little things” that help make life easier and more pleasurable. And it helps if they are a bargain, too!
I’ve found a company that brings high quality, great looking shaving products and sets to mass market, but at prices that are really bargains. The Dutch company Van Der Hagen’s shaving products really look impressive, but they’re impressively inexpensive.
I had planned to save the Van Der Hagen Big Blue Shave Set shown in the photo, above, for a holiday gift guide suggestion, but Van Der Hagen is just too special to keep under wraps that long. So I’m sharing my news about the company, now. When you read this, remember the name “Van der Hagen” when it’s time to get started on your holiday shopping. For some, it’s not too early to do that now, anyway.
You can purchase the Van Der Hagen razors, brushes, soaps and so forth individually, but the sets are really nicely boxed for gift giving or for the man who just wants and entire all in one purchase (you save money buying the sets). There is a luxury line and a premium line, but the quality is there in all the products.
The Big Blue Van Der Hagen Complete Safety Razor Shave Set shown above retails for about $90.oo but there are more modest sets such as the set in the orange box that comes with everything but the safety razor (the razor alone runs about $25.00) for just $40.00. and for just $11.00 you can get the green boxed set (with a less luxe brush mug, plus a shaving soap). Like a fine scotch, van der Hagen’s shave soaps are handmade, batch by batch. Impressive!
But for a holiday gift, for a birthday gift, or just to say “I love you” to a special someone, this big blue Shaving set is a great gift for a guy. It has everything he needs for a luxurious, traditional shave:
- Chrome-plated brass construction safety razor with butterfly opening mechanism
- Handsome Monogrammed Badger-hair Shaving Brush
- Heavy Duty Chrome-plated combination razor and brush stand
- Specially-designed classic monogrammed apothecary Mug
- Hypo-allergenic shave soap with over 10% Glycerin and emollient Shea, mango, and Cocoa Butters
- Pack of 5 premium stainless steel, ice-tempered, teflon coated, double-edge razor blades
- Push the soap out of the clamshell container and place it in the apothecary mug (windmill logo facing down). Wet the badger hair with warm tap water and gently shake off the excess.
- Move the brush in a circular motion over the shave soap until the desired lather is achieved. The volume and thickness of the lather can be adjusted by the volume of water left on the badger hair. More water equals greater lather. Too much water equals thinner lather.
- Using the brush, apply the lather to the beard area.
- After shaving, rinse off any remaining soap. Rinse the brush under warm tap water, shake off the excess water and hang upside down on the shave stand to dry.
Changing the Blade on the Safety Razor:
1. Twist the bottom of the handle to open the razor’z quick-change butterfly head.
2. Remove a blade from the dispenser and discard the paper wrap.
3. Carefully place the blade in the head of the razor and twist the bottom of the handle until the head closes completely.
4. The short handle offers better control while the single blade provides superior trimming and minimizes the chance of ingrown hairs.
You can find Van Der Hagen products and sets at drug and mass market retailers nationwide and online. For more information visit the Van Der Hagen Web Site.